New Ground Coffee Company — Update #4Barnaby Marshall @ 2018-09-04 23:18:39 +1200
For those of you new to our monthly update - welcome in, glad you made it.
Update #4 into our journey of creating a specialty, fair trade, organic freeze dried coffee. Over the past few weeks we have had some good things brewing...
Our past month:
- We had our first instant coffee tasting at Orphans Kitchen (haven't been? pop by and order a cheese roll) on the first weekend of July. It was a beautiful winter Saturday morning and the vibe was right on. We tasted some of our flavours and had a few classic instants in there. The outcome was that our Mexican FTO coffee ranked the best on flavour scale from the 5 coffees tasted! (some pics attached).
- We got our third run of samples back from the freeze drier and the yield was getting close to our target. Tasting good, now to refine.
- We've started carrying around a jar of instant at all times so you'll be in luck next time you bump into one of us.
Some nice instant facts:
- Instant coffee was invented and patented in Invercargill in 1889 by kiwi pioneer David Strang.
- Instant coffee boomed in the battlefield. There was a big demand during wartime. This is a quote from an American soldier in the trenches in WW1, he seemed pretty 'buzzed' on instant.
- Confirm our coffee roasting partner.
- Packaging design.
- Start brewing at scale.
- Website launch.
Keeping you in the loop from New Ground HQ aka my house.
Enjoy your life this week.
Barns and Conn.